Rainbow Matrix Panels

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

blmatrix13

Rainbow Matrix Panels

Post by blmatrix13 »

Hi Folks,

I am new to Madrix and new to this whole concept. I have 16 Rainbow Matrix Panels from Seasonal Entertainment (link for reference):

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com ... atrix.html

The panels have their LEDs arranged (easiest way to setup) with the first pixel at the top left hand corner and than are red like a book from top to bottom. Across a line, down to the next line, across and so on. That is one panel, than the next panel is next to it and it goes on and on across 4 panels. There is than another row on top of that row in the same setup and so on for all 16 panels.

My question here is what is the easiest way to setup these panels in Madrix.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Rainbow Matrix Panels

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi!

Unfortunately, I can't find any detailed, technical information about the product (whether it is DMX-controlled or DVI-controlled), but let's just assume it is DMX-based.

That whole setup shouldn't be too complicated and I would recommend a two-way process.

First, I would set up the fixture in the Fixture Editor. You configure it once and add it to the MADRIX Fixture Library in this way. In the Fixture Editor you can set up the panels exactly as you describe and you have a graphical overview in addition. The Fixture Editor is automatically installed together with MADRIX and that is why you can set up the fixture or we can do it.

Second, once the fixture is included in the MADRIX Fixture Library, I would set up the whole matrix of 16 panels in the Matrix Generator (menu Preferences > Matrix Generator). Simply choose the fixture and set up Count X:4 and Count Y:4 as well as the other parameters according to your needs. (When I understand you correctly, the other parameters can remain with their default values).

Another option is to use the simpliest fixture, !generic RGB Light 1 pixel, and set up each pixel individually in the Patch (Preferences > Patch).

Please let us know if you need any further information. Thank you very much!
blmatrix13

Post by blmatrix13 »

Ok, that information is completely helpful...thank you! I should have told you that yes, they are DMX.

However, I went through step by step and it would not save. I only have the demo mode currently so I guess you can not save a fixture in the library unless you have the licensed version?
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

You are welcome!

Saving a fixture should also work with the demo version.

So let's try to find out what is going on.

1) For example, can you please make sure to close MADRIX while working with the Fixture Editor?

2) When creating a fixture, please also make sure to press Apply and then go to the menu "File" -> "Save Library".

Please let me know if that helps. Thank you!
blmatrix13

Post by blmatrix13 »

Hi,

Thank you again but I did do all that and I get the error that says, "Error during saving fixture library!"

Not sure what is happening here. I plan on buying the full version of Madrix but wanted to test out these features before I commit.

Any further guidence you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

That is highly unusual. Let's go a step farther.

1) Can you please tell me which version you are running by going to Help > About... in MADRIX? (e.g. 2.14b?)

2) The madrix.mfl might be write-protected. Can you please check in Windows by clicking on the file > Properties.

3) You might not have the correct rights to write onto your harddisk. Are you logged in in Windows as Admin?

4) There could have been an error during the installation process. Reinstalling MADRIX might help.

5) Your harddisk might run out of space and Windows cannot save the file.

6) Did you load the existing library into the Fixture Editor before creating a new fixture?

Thank you very much for your help!
blmatrix13

Post by blmatrix13 »

Hello again,

Here are a few answers to your questions...
1...I am running 2.14d
2...The file was write protected so I unchecked "Read Only" and clicked apply.
3...I am the Windows administrator
4...I have tried this on two seperate computers with the same results. However, I can try a re-install
5...Plenty of space on the hard drive
6...I loaded the madrix.mfl file

Here are the steps I am taking to create this, just for clarification:
1...Open the Fixture Editor
2...File>Open Library>madrix.mfl
3...Create the fixture with all the data filled in
4...Click Apply, than click OK
5...File>Save Library
This is when the error occurs that says, "Error during saving fixture library!"

I will try the re-install now to see if there are any changes.

Again, I greatly appreciate your help on this matter!

Greg
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi Greg,

You don't have to thank me. I have to thank you for your patience!

If the file was write protected, then this was probably the reason.

Please let me know if it works, or I'd be happy to create the fixture profile for you.

Thank you very much!
blmatrix13

Post by blmatrix13 »

OK, we are getting closer. The file itself (madrix.mfl) is no longer write-protected but the folder is, so it still will not let me save. I have tried to take "Read-Only" off of folder but Windows tells me I need Administrator Privileges, which I have. I really don't know what to do here. Should the folder or the file have privileges?
blmatrix13

Post by blmatrix13 »

OK...I seem to have figured out a work around. I saved the fixtures in a different folder. I than just copied the .mfl file into the correct location and it worked fine. Seems like a backwards way of doing it but at least it worked. Thank you so much for taking the time to work with me.

I am going to purchase the full licensed version of this now.

Thanks again!!

Greg