Midi Pass-Thru

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Sideways Bob

Midi Pass-Thru

Post by Sideways Bob »

Hello!
Working in a club with Madrix controlling LED panels and what-not, and also an Avolite Titan Mobile for moving heads. Control is a bit sketchy, with only one monitor possible (don't ask).
So, i hooked up an Akai APC 40, hoping to send MIDI signals to both systems, controlling everything from one interface with no mouse, except for previewing.
The Madrix is terribly clever, everything works fine, except that the Midi signal never gets to the Avolite. Because of the USB-Midi cable that Avo demands, the signal has to go to the computer first (where Maddy lives). The cable has a built-in translator, which Madrix recognizes, how cool is that, activated and enabled all possible functions, but he won't share his input.
What I wish, is that Madrix takes the APC input, and passes it on through the UM-ONE (the midi usb translator), still reacting to any mappings that are triggered (this last it already does).
Like a DMX dimmer taking the entire DMX signal, reacting only to its part, passing the entire signal.

Can Maddy do this dance, or does she refuse to share?

Thanks for your help!
Ismal

Re: Midi Pass-Thru

Post by Ismal »

I don't know about Madrix, but if not you could install Midi Yoke and Midi-Ox, and create a few 'virtual midi devices' and send your APC data to both, one which would be picked up by Maddy and the other by your UM-ONE.
I've used this technique as a kind of virtual splitter cable for midi data, especially for software that doesn't like to share.

Cheers !
Sideways Bob

Post by Sideways Bob »

Thank you Ismal! Excellent idea. I shall try it directly.
Sideways Bob

Post by Sideways Bob »

.. and the story develops. Picked up a virus or something, computer burned out. Reformat the hard drive, new system install blah blah. Everything okay by showtime. Terribly dramatic.
and now back to our program(s).

The trick is that the Madrix does not recognize MIDI-OX et all as midi devices, and so will not take input from them. If they take APC input, Madrix cannot open device, and vice versa.
If it weren't for the moving heads, I'd be willing to hand program the DMX from the Madrix. I'm tempted as it is.

Round Two:
Can the APC drive both the Madrix and the Avolite simultaneously? (and how, of course..)

Any takers?

Cheers,
Sideways
Ismal

Post by Ismal »

Sideways Bob wrote: The trick is that the Madrix does not recognize MIDI-OX et all as midi devices, and so will not take input from them.
Interesting because Madrix will take input from my MidiYoke devices, are you sure you have configured everything correctly ? Do they not appear in the list, or do they appear but there's no input ? You need to create at least 2 "virtual midi devices" with ModiYoke, then use Midi-Ox to route your APC to both of them. It should work !

Sideways Bob

Post by Sideways Bob »

Ahh.. see.. Midi-Yoke wouldn't install on my computer, so I haven't tried with that. Midi-Ox didn't show up, and the other one, forgot the name, that was pre-reformat.
Midi-yoke has no win7 64bit.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, gotta run now, thanks for your help, more news at eleven.
Ismal

Post by Ismal »

Try installing Midi-Yoke with compatibility mode set to WinXP SP2 and administrator privileges, and as a last resort you could put windows in 'test' mode which allows you to install unsigned drivers.

It should work, I use it on a win7 x64 box all the time as you can see in my previous screenshot.

Send me a pm if you want, this may be getting a little off-topic for Madrix forums...
Sideways Bob

Post by Sideways Bob »

Just to wrap it up, for whatever reasons it came down to 64-bit midi-yoke trouble. Tried UAC, compat mode, ... Glad it works for some, judging from various forums it's got a hit-or-miss history. Was able to use LoopBe1, just in case anyone stumbles down this alley. Thanks for your help!

And this has actually gone rather off-topic, so there's an end to it.
I just always wonder how these stories come out.