MADRIX 5.1 wont start.

hayzefish

Re: MADRIX 5.1 wont start.

Post by hayzefish »

Hi

I also have this problem (running 5.4d), which seems to have been around since at least 2019 with very little done to resolve it (besides asking for log files). I have looked at the logs and there is nothing useful - the last line is about writing to the log file.

As others have said, in Task Manager the Madrix process moves from "Apps" to "Background" - there is only ever one instance. It seems there is a thread running in Madrix that is not being terminated when the program closes. On my machine, it is using about 22% CPU (and very little RAM, about 6-42MB), which implies there is a tight infinite loop consuming one thread.

This bug makes it very difficult to rely on Madrix as it cannot be reopened without manually ending the running process in Task Manager, and cannot even automatically monitor whether the application is running as it is still technically running after being closed.

Thanks
D
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello hayzefish,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.

Can you please elaborate a bit more when MADRIX won't start at your PC?
Is there a MADRIX crash before or do you want to restart MADRIX quickly after manually closing?
hayzefish

Post by hayzefish »

Hi

Sorry for the slow reply!

The problem was that when I went to check on the system remotely, Madrix was not running (no UI, no output to lighting fixture) but when I tried to open it the error message (per this forum thread) would appear. Once I ended the process in Task Manager I could open it again.

I don't know why Madrix was not running, but it has happened multiple times. Either someone is closing it (I've checked and apparently no one did), or it closes itself / crashes (I've checked the logs before opening and there is nothing there). EDIT: And to test, if I close Madrix myself it is still running in the background in the same way - that is, every time I close Madrix I have to go and end the process before I can open it again.

Normally, I would just put a watcher on the process so that if it is ever closed or crashes, it is opened again automatically, but because it is still 'running' this will not be detected so won't work.

When I did a dump of the running process, it appears a number of threads are still running, and Spout and NDI both caught my eye - perhaps something is not being told to stop listening (I am using NDI on the machine but not for Madrix)? Here's a link to two screenshots showing the threads and stack of the dump (Madrix process still running in background after closing): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f7d0n97gguv1 ... EeIwa?dl=0

Thanks
D
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello hayzefish,

Can you please send us the used MADRIX setup and also a MADRIX logfile when the used MADRIX setup is loaded and the MADRIX KEY is connected via e-mail to info[at]madrix[dot]com
We need both files to analyze the issue more in deep.

To save the logfile please navigate in MADRIX to "Tools > Logfile", click the button "Save As..." and enter a name for the Logfile.
To save the Setup go to "File > Save Setup as..." and enter a name.